• June 19, 2021

Billy Joe Saunders Contemplates Quitting From Boxing After Crushing Defeat To Canelo


=== (AGENDAWATCHDOG) === Billy Joe Saunders says he’s contemplating retirement from boxing following his injury stoppage loss to Canelo Alvarez last month on May 8th.

People are going to say Canelo retired Saunders if he elects to give it up at this point 12-year professional career? Can Billy Joe live with people branding him a quitter?

In an interview, the former two-division world champion Saunders (30-1, 14 KOs) told Talksport that it’s “50/50 that he hangs up his gloves after suffering a fractured orbital bone.

The 31-year-old Saunders says his dad will play a part in his ultimate decision to retire or fight on.

READ ALSO = Deontay Wilder, Tyson Fury To Meet For Press Conference In Los Angeles To Announce July Trilogy Bout

Of course, if Saunders does choose to walk away from the sport, it’s going to reinforce the view that he’s a ‘quitter’ in the eyes of many boxing fans, who already believe he quit on his stool in the Canelo fight.

It won’t be a surprise if Saunders does retire because he got a massive $8 million payday against Canelo, and he’s not likely to get anywhere near that kind of money fighting anyone else at 168 or 160.

“My dad will have a big say. It’s 50/50,” said Billy Joe Saunders to Talksport on the possibility he retires. “Whether I think I will have one/a couple more, it’s got to be the right fights. If he says, ‘Leave it, son,’ that’s probably what I’ll do.”


Agenda Watchdog

Read Previous

COVID-19 BRIEFS: NCDC Confirms 45 New Cases, Total Caseload Now 167, 027

Read Next

10 Must-Read News Items This Friday Morning

Join the Discussion

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *