By Lucky Uwakina (AGENDAWATCHDOG) – A top Facebook executive has spoken out to defend the company’s two-year ban of Donald Trump, saying the former president crossed a ‘red line’ against inciting violence during the U.S. Capitol riot.
Nick Clegg, Facebook’s head of global affairs and communications who formerly led the UK political party Liberal Democrats, addressed the controversial ban in an interview with ABC News on Sunday.
‘It doesn’t matter who you are, you can be the pope, the queen of England, the president of the United States, you cannot use our services, and I hope most people would think this is reasonable, to aid, abet, foment, or praise acts of violence,’ Clegg said.
‘I hope most people would agree is something that we just don’t want on social media,’ he added.
In updating its policies, Facebook also said it will no longer give politicians blanket immunity for deceptive or abusive content based on their comments being newsworthy.
At the end of Trump’s two-year ban, Facebook will enlist experts to assess whether his activity on the platform still threatens public safety, according to Clegg.
‘If we determine that there is still a serious risk to public safety, we will extend the restriction for a set period of time and continue to re-evaluate until that risk has receded,’ Clegg said.
When Trump’s suspension is lifted, he will face strict sanctions that could rapidly escalate to permanent removal for rule-breaking, according to Clegg.
Last month, the ‘oversight board’ convened by the company said Facebook was justified in ousting Trump for his comments regarding the January 6 riot.
But the board warned that the platform should not have applied an ‘indeterminate and standardless penalty of indefinite suspension.’