• June 19, 2021

John Fury Attacks Bob Arum Over Trilogy Bout, Fears Deontay Wilder Could Upset Gypsy King In Vegas


=== (AGENDAWATCHDOG) === Tyson Fury’s father John has slammed his son’s American promoter Bob Arum for failing to deal with Deontay Wilder’s appeal for a trilogy bout, revealing he has genuine concerns it could be the American who comes out on top.

Fury had been scheduled to fight Anthony Joshua in Saudi Arabia on August 14 for the undisputed heavyweight crown, in perhaps the biggest fight in British boxing history.

Those plans were dismantled seemingly in the blink of an eye, however, as an arbitration panel ruled that Fury must fight the ‘Bronze Bomber’ for a third time.

Swiftly after the announcement of Wilder’s successful appeal, Fury’s British promoter Frank Warren told Sportsmail that talks were underway to reach an eight-figure settlement that would see Wilder step aside.

However, Arum spoke on the contrary, telling ESPN that they would not hand Wilder a pay-off, and would instead fight Joshua at a later date.

John Fury has now stated that he has been disgusted by Arum’s handling of the situation.
‘[Tyson has] 20,000 yes men around him,’ he said in an interview with BT Sport. ‘This is what happens when you get to the top; there’s a lot of leaches out there, a lot of hangers on.

Tyson Fury promoter bans boxing great from attending Deontay Wilder rematch  | Boxing | Sport | Express.co.uk

‘You can see what’s happening in America with him – appalling work to be honest with you.

Complacency is a recipe for disaster in boxing, as seen in Joshua’s initial shock defeat to Andy Ruiz Jr in 2019. 

And it’s now a real concern for Fury, who believes both Wilder and Joshua’s likely opponent Oleksandr Usyk have significant chances of prevailing in their respective bouts, also questioning whether Tyson will have a fair shot in America.  

‘I’m concerned whether Tyson can raise his game for Wilder,’ he said. ‘Whether he gets complacent, makes a mistake. It’s got a good chance of going wrong out there.’

‘The danger point is getting fair play out there,’ he added. ‘At the minute, the American boxing fraternity has been embarrassed from the last escapade.

‘Why wouldn’t you take a $20million step-aside without fighting and a guaranteed shot at the winner, when you’re fighting for a lot less money and you’re risking getting your skull caved in again.

‘It doesn’t make sense, so obviously the powers that be in America are involved, they’re calling the shots and trapped them both.’

READ ALSO = “Usyk Is Not A True Heavyweight Contender, His Fight With Anthony Joshua Is A “Dead Fight” – Dillian Whyte.


Agenda Watchdog

Read Previous

Governor Udo Emmanuel Flags Off Construction Of Giwa Gas Limited

Read Next

FG Flags Off ‘Safe To School’ Initiative