By Lucky Uwakina (AGENDAWATCHDOG) – Anyone who has experienced food poisoning will know just how unpleasant it can be, and now a new study has warned that a common bacteria that causes the illness may also be an STI.
Researchers from the University of Oklahoma found that Campylobacter infection, the most common foodborne illness in the Western world, can also be spread through sexual contact.
While campylobacter infection is rarely serious, it can cause vomiting and diarrhoea, and can pose an additional risk for people with underlying health conditions.
Based on the findings, the team is urging doctors to talk to their patients about risks associated with sexual contact amid a bout of food poisoning.
In the study, the team set out to understand whether Campylobacter infection can be spread through sexual contact.
Dr Katrin Kuhn, who led the study, said: ‘This research is important for public health messaging and for physicians as they talk to their patients about risks associated with sexual contact.