By Vanessa Ekpereka (AGENDAWATCHGDOG) – Tyson Fury has allayed fears about his long awaited showdown against Anthony Joshua after being forced to take on Deontay Wilder this summer – insisting the all-British bout will ‘100 per cent’ happen this year.
Fury and Joshua had both agreed to face each other in Saudi Arabia on August 14 before being hit with a bombshell that the Gypsy King had been ordered to fight Wilder in a trilogy fight.
With their battle of Britain now likely to likely place in December – should Joshua overcome his mandatory WBO title defence against Oleksandr Usyk – and Fury has vowed to ‘smash’ Wilder before moving on to his long-time rival.
Speaking to ESPN, via the Sun, Fury said he would deliver an even more devastating stoppage against the Bronze Bomber when they meet on July 24 after he stunned the American last February to take his WBC world title.
‘I’ve got to beat up Deontay Wilder a bit better than I did last time, because he didn’t get a good enough hiding last time.
‘This time I’m going to really double, double, treble smash him.’
Boxing fans had been awaiting news of Joshua and Fury’s fight but were kept waiting for months after negotiations dragged on – with promoter Eddie Hearn struggling to agree on a suitable site for the event, which will be one of the biggest in boxing history.
He finally got both fighters to sign a contract after agreeing Saudi Arabia as the venue, with the date set for August 14, before all the plans were shelved in the space of 48 hours as Wilder won his legal challenge to face Fury a third time.
It has increased fears that the pair won’t have a chance to face each other with the undisputed title on the line – as both have to come through their next fights unscathed – but Fury has assured fans that the pair will face off in 2021.
‘100 per cent [I’ll fight Joshua],’ he added. ‘AJ’s got a big mouth and no substance.
‘He says I’m the one that does all the talking, but if I didn’t talk boxing would be stone dead because I’m the only character alive left in it.