By Vanessa Ekpereka (AGENDAWATCHDOG) – Eddie Hearn has promised boxing fans that there will be an announcement ‘next week’ regarding Anthony Joshua’s proposed heavyweight unification bout with Tyson Fury.
The clash between the heavyweight champions appeared to be on the verge of collapse this past week after Fury’s team expressed their frustrations with Joshua’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, consistently failing to meet deadlines.
Bob Arum, Fury’s US promoter, said that the unification bout was ‘dead in the water’ and that the WBC champion would pursue other opponents, namely arch rival Deontay Wilder.
Matchroom Boxing promoter Hearn has responded that he is confident the match will go ahead, after Frank Warren also confirmed that Fury had received his contract for the super-fight.
Hearn told Sky Sports Box Office: ‘You heard from Frank Warren last night (Friday), who said quite rightly, we received the contract from the Middle East.
‘All sides’ lawyers have got to go through that and make sure they’re happy with it.
‘But we’re all systems go. This fight is on, this fight is happening. As I told everyone last week, back and forwards with the drafts.
‘I believe you’ll get an announcement next week. I don’t know what else to tell you.