By Vanessa Ekpereka (AGENDAWATCHDOG) – Eddie Hearn is confident a date and venue for this summer’s showdown between Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury will be confirmed by the end of next week.
The Matchroom promoter remained tight-lipped on the details of where July’s undisputed heavyweight title fight could land but he said: ‘I think end of next week it will be done.’
However, the Gypsy King’s father has hit back at Hearn, telling the promoter to finalise the match or stop talking about it, with the message of ‘put up or shut up’.
oshua-Fury moved a step closer last month, when both sides signed contracts covering the finer points of a two-fight deal.
That prompted a gold-rush to find a venue that could help fund the £200million clash amid the uncertainty of Covid-19.
Hearn has embarked on a ‘world tour’ to finalise offers, with the Middle East still the most likely destination due to its ability to pay the biggest site fees.
Operators in Saudi Arabi, Qatar and Dubai have all held talks with Hearn, while there is also interest from Singapore, China and the US. Wembley Stadium remains an outside possibility.
‘The world tour is going well but I’m not answering any questions on that and I won’t tell you where I’ve been,’ Hearn said on Friday.
‘But talks have progressed extremely well and we’re closing in on securing the venue and there will be an announcement in due course. We’re at the stage where it’s probably best not to say much more than that.’