By John Imade (AGENDAWATCHDOG) – Fresh facts surrounding the killing of farmers in Borno State by suspected Boko Haram members have emerged, as the military has revealed more information about the circumstances that led to the sad incident.
Military Spokesman, Major General John Enenche, during a media parley in Abuja on Thursday, said that the military’s sources said that prior to their summary execution, the farmers, numbering about 70, had been invited by the insurgents for discussions.
Enenche’s statement read, “I want to say that the armed forces we have now and security agents is normally determined by the people,” he said.
“It’s not in our powers or to say yes or no. It is the kind of force package …each time I brief, talk to you here, I say Air Force will make an enhanced force package of fighter jets, helicopter gun-shooter then take out opposition.
“The same thing with the army; the same thing with the navy. So, for every government it is what you want. It is not for the military to begin to join issues or begin to contest.
“From the testimony we got from a credible source who escaped, part of them said that they[Boko Haram] called about 70 of them. They invited them to come.
“And when they were going they thought it was the usual interaction they used to have. That brings a lot of things. That brings a lot of things for all of us to learn.
“That means they were having interactions with them [Boko Haram] under some arrangements or whatever subject to further confirmations. We are still working on that.”
Abubakar Shekau, arrowhead of the deadly Boko Haram terrorist group had on Tuesday disclosed that 78 farmers and not 43 as widely reported were killed by his lieutenants, a figure that was a departure from the 70 projected by the military