By Olivia Isibor (AGENDAWATCHDOG) – Nigeria was not invaded by the United States Special Forces, according to the Minister of Defence, Major General Bashir Magashi (rtd), who said that the US obtained permission to conduct a rescue mission during the weekend.
The Minister disclosed this to the media on Tuesday at the National Assembly in Abuja, the nation’s capital, following his appearance before the National Assembly to defend his ministry’s budget.
According to Magashi, the US contacted the Nigerian Government on their plans to carry out the rescue of its citizen kidnapped by bandits in the Niger Republic and taken to northern Nigeria, and received permission before undertaking the operation, the minister said.
Magashi added that “there is nothing wrong in a friendly nation taking permission to conduct an operation which is for the mutual good of the countries; that is why we allowed it to happen”, slamming insinuations that the government was not fully aware of the operation.
Following the successful rescue of an American hostage from Nigeria by US Special Forces, there had been suggestions in some quarters that the United States may have violated Nigeria’s sovereignty.