(AGENDAWATCHDOG) – The June 12 date for the Premier League’s restart may be pushed back, the competition’s chief executive has said.
Speaking after clubs unanimously agreed a return to non-contact training from Tuesday, Richard Masters admitted that the intended date may well be delayed.
‘We have been focused on this staging post, it’s not a firm commitment, for June 12,’ he said. ‘So we haven’t changed the start date, we have to be flexible about it. What we don’t want to do is continually move that start date. So we haven’t changed it, we need to be flexible and acknowledge we are in a step by step process.’
Masters’ comments come after opposition to June 12. On Sunday, Manchester City star Raheem Sterling said players needed more time and Masters disclosed that further discussions over how long would be needed to build match fitness would take place.
‘Next week we are going to be discussing full contact training protocols for that,’ he said. ‘Once you know when you can start full contact training and we have had a proper discussion with clubs about how much is required to create the fitness levels before they can start playing we are then in a position to be able to confirm when the season start is.’
Masters added that initial discussions had been held over television scheduling. There is a desire to broadcast every match live in a different timeslot amid a hunger from the nation to watch matches which would be played behind closed doors thanks to the coronavirus pandemic, but the official was guarded.