By Bonita Onyeka, For Agenda Watchdog, May 8, 2020
(AGENDAWATCHDOG) – The Yobe State Government has denied widespread reports of mass deaths in the state linked to COVID-19 infections.
The state’s views on the matter were contained in a statement by the State Commissioner for Health who doubles as the Vice Chairman of the Committee on Prevention and Control COVID-19 in the state, Dr. Lawan Gana, who described the purported reports as erroneous and misleading.
According to Gana, the mass deaths in the state were due to other causes not associated with COVID-19. He said that a lot of people in the state had been traumatized due to the Boko Haram insurgency, which could be partly responsible for the mass deaths.
The Commissioner said the state had commenced investigations to unravel the remote and immediate causes of the deaths, imploring the media to check their facts before publishing.
Earlier in the week, the media – traditional & social – had exploded with the news of over 155 deaths in Potiskum, Gashua and Nguru Local Government Areas of Yobe State.