A STATEWIDE BROADCAST BY HIS EXCELLENCY, NYESOM EZENWO WIKE, GOVERNOR OF RIVERS STATE ON MONDAY, MARCH 30, 2020
My Dear Good People of Rivers State After some days of monitoring the level of compliance of the State Government’s directive for markets in the state to be closed, we were shocked to discover that some markets have continued to violate the sit-at-home order. I am constrained to address you again after my last broadcast of Thursday, March 26, 2020.
We have no choice than to make some painful, but necessary decisions to further prevent the spread of coronavirus in the State.
Therefore, after a meeting of the State Security Council today, the following decisions were taken:
- With effect from Tuesday March 31, 2020 there will be a dusk to dawn curfew from Obiri-Ikwerre Junction( Ozuoba, Rumualogu) to Choba and from Education Bus Stop to Agip Junction, Ikwerre Road .
- All beer parlours and public drinking joints are hereby closed because they have suddenly become an extension of night clubs that were earlier shut down.
- Any beer parlour or public drinking joint found to be open shall be acquired by the State Government.
- All landlords are advised to warn their tenants who use their property as beer parlours or public drinking joints to adhere to this directive.
- Traditional Rulers, Youth Leaders and Community Development Committees are to ensure that beer parlours and public drinking joints in their areas remain closed.
- Any Traditional Ruler who allows markets to be open in his domain will be deposed.
7, Government is investigating the illegal operation of markets at night at Woji and Elelenwo Communities. Further violation by residents of these two communities will attract declaration of curfew.
- Further flagrant violation of the closure of markets will attract a state-wide declaration of curfew. We must understand that people must be alive before they eat food.
- As a responsive government, we have also reviewed our earlier directives and have resolved to grant waivers to the following categories of essential services:
(a) Medical and Pharmaceutical Personnel
(b) Food and Beverages
(c) Essential Oil and Gas Staff
(d) Petroleum Products
(e) Media Workers and Newspaper Distributors. All these categories of staff must identify themselves with valid identity cards.
My Dear Good People of Rivers State based on suggestions by well-meaning Rivers people, government is looking into the setting up of food markets across the State.
As a result of the flagrant violation of the closure of markets in Obio/Akpor Local Government Area, the Local Government Council Chairman and his Deputy, are hereby suspended indefinitely.
Let me reiterate that this government will continue to do what is right no matter who is involved. As you are all aware, no conventional war has grounded global life and economy like coronavirus has done.
Everybody is affected. Therefore, all hands must be on deck to defeat coronavirus.
I want to sincerely express my heartfelt gratitude to our health professionals on the frontline of this fight. Let me also thank all the security agencies, individuals and organisations who are collaborating with us to make Rivers State safe.
I am confident that with our collective resolve our dear state will contain the spread of this virus.
Thank you and God bless.