Oyo Sate Governor, Seyi Makinde, on Friday, March 27, 2020, announced strict measures that are meant to help stem the spread of the dreaded coronavirus in the state.
Oyo State, according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), now has three confirmed cases of the new coronavirus.
According to the governor’s statement on his official twitter handle, “As a result of this, I have directed that the following additional measures be put in place: a dusk to dawn curfew (7 PM to 6 AM); no gatherings of more than ten people should be held anywhere in Oyo State,”.
“From Sunday night, March 29, 2020, all markets will be closed except those selling perishable food items.”
All inter-state transportation, incoming and outgoing, except for vehicles carrying food items, medical, pharmaceutical and petroleum products, where suspended.
“This takes effect from Sunday night, March 29, 2020,” Makinde said. “All measures will be reviewed on a weekly basis.”
The Governor revealed that 84 other suspected cases had been located in the state as contact tracing and collection of samples commenced.
“The state’s diagnostic centre set up in collaboration with the University College Hospital is now ready,” Makinde said. “The Nigerian Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) certification is still pending but the Director-General of NCDC has made a pre-statement about the molecular laboratory in Oyo State.”
He pointed out that the state’s “index case was stable and was still under observation in the isolation unit at Agbami Chest Centre, Jericho.”
*** Franca Joesph